The American College Personnel Association (ACPA) was founded almost 90 years ago and boasts 7,500 members from institutions of higher education in the United States and around the world. They define themselves as "the leading comprehensive student affairs association that advances student affairs and engages students for a lifetime of learning and advocacy" (American College Personnel Association, 2011, para. 1).
ACPA's report on sustainability discusses some of the financial relief that can come from implementing sustainable practices and educating faculty, staff, and students about the efforts. The report defines sustainability as using necessary resources for today without compromising the needs of subsequent generations. Cost-saving sustainability measures possible for implementation on campuses nationwide include recycling, water conservation, and energy conservation. By implementing these practices, institutions can be better equipped to respond to fluctuating energy prices and fluctuating funding (American College Personnel Association, 2008).
References
American College Personnel Association (2011). About ACPA. Retrieved from http://www2.myacpa.org/about-acpa
American College Personnel Association (2008). Toward a Sustainable Future: The Role of Student Affairs in Creating Healthy Environments, Social Justice, and Strong Economics. Retrieved from http://www2.myacpa.org/docs/publications/ACPA_Sustainability_Monograph.pdf
With as many as Student Affairs practitioners as there are in the Academy I am surprised that there are not more 7,500 members in ACPA.
ReplyDeleteIn my younger years I was a member of the organization and it did an excellent job in keeping those of us in Student Affairs are often not called to the table of decision making, but the organization kept us abreast.
We need to find a way to balance both sides of the house--Academic Affairs and Student Affairs.
I think we have a ways to go in support sustainability. It sounds great and most people are in support of it but how do you implement it? I was reading in a campus facilities magazine where a campus used solar panels to provide energy to a new building. That's a great example of using technology to make a building sustainable. At the UoM, students agreed to be charged an extra green fee as part of their tuition and fees. I look forward to how the green fee will be used. I can think of a few projects that have been implemented such as the community garden, more recycle bins and the campaign regarding turning off lights when you leave a room. Edwina T. Washington
ReplyDeleteI find that it is hard to use the necessary resource today and still have what is needed for future generations. For example, I like better technology, but I am sure I could continue my learning without upgrading so often. Maybe the reason students agreed to be assessed an extra green fee was because it sounds good, but in reality someone else is helping to fund extra fees. I know that the ACPA is working to make a difference, but it is appears to be hard to advocate for a lifetime of learning in a volatile higher education market.
ReplyDelete